Monday, November 2, 2009

8 Days til 40 Days

For the past 10 months or so I've been contemplating my 40 year oldness. As people have asked my age, instead of saying 39, I've said--I'm turning 40 this year. I suppose it was mostly to get used to the idea of hearing the word forty coming out of my mouth. Well, now the time is approaching very quickly and I've decided instead of avoiding or down-playing the inevitable--I'm embracing it.

With that in mind, I've decided to count down the 40 days until I turn 40 with a sort of bucket list. My goal is to do something I've never done before on each of the 40 days. Ideally, I'd like to share these unique experiences with my friends and family. If there's one thing I've learned in my 39+ years it's that who you are with is much more important that what you are doing.

Here's where you come in...my friends and family. I'd love your input on ideas that I should consider doing in my 40 day fest. Things like:

Skydive
Prepare a gourmet meal
Hike in Maryland
Get a Tattoo
Sing Karaoke
Hot Air Balloon
Rock Climbing/Rappelling outdoors
Throw on a potter's wheel
Travel to ...

And as you share ideas...if you'd like to join me in one or more of them--let me know. I aim to make these 40 days as communal as possible. Come help me celebrate making it to 40 (almost). And sign up to follow me on this blog as I update each day with a little story about what I experienced and sharing a photo or two of the experience.

Thanks for being a part of my life.

Oh--and one last thing...my birthday is December 20th...so this all begins on November 10th. I'd like to finish up on Sunday, December 20th with some sort of big shin dig...but I'm not sure what or where. So, if you have any ideas on what to do for the final day--throw your thoughts my way!!

Post your thoughts and ideas!

-michael ivan

14 comments:

  1. Hey man, yeah. Can't believe this is coming up...fwiw, you still act like you're 25 baby!

    I think marrying a foreigner for a green card should be on there.. :P

    Skydiving would be ridiculously fun.

    Um, as for new ideas...

    yeah I don't know. It'd be fun to have a big party somewhere. Oh! you should learn a fancy dance! Then have a show off or something.

    Anyway, I'm up for doing something with you CRAZY. Just no tattoos on my part. I like hiking, I don't know much about climbing or rappelling but I've done it in WV and liked it.

    I can also set a table like a ma'fucka, so there's that too.

    Anyway, I'm signed up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The marathon...or any other running is not happening (OK, maybe a 5K if someone sets it up). I'll do a marathon if you push me in a wheelchair. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about spending the night outside in Baltimore (with a friend)? Maybe that's too unsafe or crazy. Karaoke? Scavenger hunt? Ever been birding? Rock climbing? Spelunking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the outside sleeping in Baltimore--I'm not sc'red. Birding? I think I've got a friend taking me spelunking.

    I just followed your link CV and found there is a blog for a certain reading group...says I can't join cause I'm not invited. Hmmm. I knew you people were holding out on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. commit a felony...

    don't get caught.

    ReplyDelete
  6. go dumpster diving for food to cook your gourmet meal...i know of great places with great rewards! and it don't get much greener than that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. travel to 40 cities/towns... local, out of state, & abroad (make sure chicago is on the list)

    ReplyDelete
  8. paulson...been there, done that. sad, but true.

    jesse--i'm down with dumpster diving, bro--time and place! shoot, we're gonna be spending all 40 days together...tattoo, dumpster, gourmet meal-hmmm.

    jes--come up with something good for me to do in Chi-town and i'm down! i'm hitting austin, tx in Dec.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever considered piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.

    What about waxing your body hair to match your 40 year old head?

    Have you ever performed in public - like busking? You could learn something and then do it in a crowded place.

    Dude we have a sky dive ticket here in the UK, if you come here I'll take you.

    Have you ever been deported? I know how to do that really well, and could probably get you in on the action.

    If you haven't been crowd surfing yet, you should do it quickly before your hips get bad.

    You should ask if you can make a public announcement at the supermarket like "cleanup in isle 40 - alien shit in isle 40."

    I could totally go for a skype brainstorming session if you're up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get a Prostate Exam... oh wait, I think you already did that... was that before or after the felony??

    Seriously - I dunno - Hike the Appalachian trail?

    Get Scuba lessons?

    Good luck

    -DK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Travis--I'll be in the UK pronto if you've got a free sky diving ticket for me. As for the deportation--I'll leave that up to your expertise. Let's skype about it soon.

    DK--you are ridiculous. My prostate is JUST FINE...it's been checked and checked again! You sick doctor-types. Hope to chat ya soon, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go hand feed the sharks at the Baltimore Aquarium. I think they let the public do that sometimes... Cool idea on The Countdown, old man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ideas:
    1) dirty yourself up, then panhandle at a busy intersection during rush hour

    2) make a stencil and graffitti up a small neighborhood, ala Shepherd Fairy

    3) Get a friend to teach you how to mix records, then DJ a party

    4) have someone make a mini-documentary about you. then show it at a Dinner & Doc with your friends

    5) Protest something with a group of people in public.

    ReplyDelete