Thursday, November 12, 2009

39 Days: Singing Lessons

When she asked me to pant like a dog, I was a bit skeptical. But truly, Alana Kolb, who is an opera singer grad student at Peabody, is a phenomenal teacher. She guaranteed me she could teach me how to sing in an hour--and she did. She also said singing beautifully might take a little longer. After my lesson, I think she might have to reevaluate how long that would take in my circumstance. My favorite part of the lesson was the breathing--apparently I'm a quick learn on low breathing. Good for me. The toughest part was when Alana tried to shove me from behind with all of her weight on my lower back while I faced a mirror trying to sing Amazing Grace. There was nothing amazing or graceful about the performance. And I'm sorry to say, I forgot to take a picture--the snapshot in my head is pretty hilarious. Another highlight was sitting in on her singing lesson with her teacher. Listening to her Mezzo Soprano voice only a few feet away was truly amazing. Best of luck to Alana in her coming auditions. I look forward to hearing her on stage as a professional opera singer and nudging the person next to me and saying--I took singing lessons from her!

By the way, the Tiramisu didn't suck. The bottom layer of finger ladies were a bit too soaked for my tastes--but the rest of it was actually pretty good. On another note, it's looking like a strong possibility I'll be skydiving on December 16th in Austin, Texas with my buddy Bryan Matthews. Anyone want to join us?

No comments:

Post a Comment