Sunday, November 22, 2009

29 Days: Caving

world logo

Tim is one of the best ultimate frisbee players I know. And within the crew of folks I've played with over the last several years he is one of the oldest guys out there--yet is in the best shape. He's one of those guys who likes adventure and pushing his body and mind to its limits. I admire Tim. When he asked me if I'd like to try caving as one of my 40 days to 40 new experiences I thought, this should be a fun adventure I won't quickly forget.

Actually, I kind of thought "spelunking" was kind of a chill, low-key stroll underground. I should've realized that Tim's passion for this hobby could only mean it would be a stretching experience. After a 2-hour drive to West Virginia, we walked into the woods in the middle of nowhere and stepped inside the Whiting's Neck Cave. We crawled on our bellies, slid through tight gaps, climbed up and down slopes, stepped through mud, slipped on wet rocks, belayed down a 45-foot drop into a pit, rope climbed back up out of the pit and with the exit only a few minutes away after several hours underground, I sprained my ankle in a crevice on the rock floor. A great experience minus the last few steps.

Fortunately, my Thanksgiving week plans for new adventures involve a lot less physical activity. Hopefully I'll be walking tall again by the time I head to Austin, Texas where the plan is to skydive. We'll see how that all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment