Thursday, November 19, 2009

31 Days: Tattoo

world logo

Well, this was a big one. A 40th birthday reminder that will last quite awhile. I've often said I didn't have anything I'd want to put on my body for the rest of my life. However, for the last year I've been chewing on an idea for a tattoo that would mean something to me. And I suppose this 40 day countdown gave me a good excuse to move forward with the plan.

My man, Jesse, really helped me a ton with his amazing artistic talents. His wife Rebecca taught me how to make a ring a few days ago. This is one creative couple! I shared my ideas with clips of art stolen off the internet and Jesse produced a sweet design that incorporated all of the elements I wanted. I think it's pretty sweet. Thanks also to the folks at Have Fun Be Lucky Tattoo Parlor in Hampden. Awesome work.

I'm not going to lie, it hurt! But two hours later it was all over and I am now an inked man. And since you asked...the meaning behind the tattoo is this:

1. The circular design is modeled off of an Iona cross which to me symbolizes community.
2. The Aramaic words going around the outside say, "Father to the fatherless" which is a reminder to me of a promise God gave me several years ago for me to live out.
3. The Aramaic word in the center is "Dreamer" which is a reminder of the story of Joseph in the old testament and the passion God has put in me to live out His dreams for me despite the obstacles along the way.

2 comments: