Tuesday, November 24, 2009

26 Days: Lamb Stew

world logo


Katie is a foodie. So, when she volunteered to help me cook lamb for the first time I knew I was in for a treat. She bought everything we needed to complete a recipe I found online except fresh thyme and rosemary. I swung by the fancy grocery story on my way over to her place to pick up the 2 missing spices. Sadly, I must admit I didn't really know what either looked like--I've only used them dried in a jar. The thyme was easy since it was labeled in a clear plastic container. However, the rosemary was labeled on the shelf in front of several green plant looking things. I will say I felt better when I asked a woman shopping next to me which one was rosemary and she wasn't sure either. She suggested I ask the guy who worked at Eddie's of Roland Park. He grabbed a pack of stalks for me and assured me this was the stuff. He was right.

We (I mean Katie) skinned the potatoes and carrots while we (I mean me) cut the lamb and chopped the shaved carrots. I browned the meat while Katie boiled the potatoes. She seasoned the meat while I mashed the potatoes that she seasoned as well. We both put together the salad with sliced apples and goat cheese. She made the dressing. A few friends joined us and we ate an incredibly tasty meal followed by frozen yoghurt with blueberries. Mmmm, mmmm, mmm.

I learned what thyme and rosemary look like...and also that you can add a ton more of the fresh spices compared to the potency of the dry stuff. I learned that making dressing is better with rice vinegar. I learned how easy it is to make mashed potatoes. I learned that you don't need to let lamb stew 50 minutes before adding carrots and cooking it all for another 20 minutes--you can just throw it all in and serve it up in about 30 minutes. And lastly, I learned that cooking and eating food with friends is really one of my favorite things to do. I suppose I already knew that--but it was a great reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment