Monday, November 23, 2009

27 Days: Like a Good Neighbor...

Believe it or not, I was in a bit of a panic all day today. I had no new experience planned for this lovely experiment. I started going through emails folks sent me about their ideas for the project. I chatted with a friend on line to help me think up something. He actually found a great event--but it involved driving somewhere--and I was really hoping to chill tonight. It's raining. I'm worn out from a long weekend without much sleep. And I'm still limping around with a sprained ankle.

And then at 5:30pm there was a knock at the door. With the outside light busted, I couldn't see who was at the door and was a little nervous about who could be knocking. I opened it to find the "punk neighbor kid" (that's his description of himself) Kyle. He's in his early 20s and I've seen him over the past year since he and his brother and mother moved in a couple of doors down. I nod to him from time to time in the parking lot and wondered if he was in college or had a job or what.

Anyway--he asked to use the phone--due to the cable being out at their place. I said sure, thinking I'd let him use my cell, but then remembered we actually do have a home phone. He made his call, but the person on the other line seemed to be avoiding him and hung up. He called back and got voicemail. I overheard him mentioned something about needing to get to work and looking for a ride from the person he called. I smiled wide and offered to drive him. He wanted to give me some money, but I told him about my 40-day plan and how it was clear to me that this was what I was supposed to do. Fortunately, he only works about a mile away (at my most hated restaurant--Egyptian Pizza).

This may wind up being my most spontaneous and least adventurous new experience in the 40 days. However, it really was a cool thing that just sort of happened. I dig it. Sorry--no photos--hopefully you can picture the "punk neighbor" and my big smile ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment