Saturday, December 12, 2009

9 Days: The Candy Man Can

world logo
My good friend Jed is man of traditions. He is a loyal friend and the quintessential family man. Jed and I watch the Eagles every Sunday. When he's screaming, I'm calming him down. When I'm losing it, he tells me to have hope. We balance each other out well.

When Jed offered to teach me how to make his late grandmother's chocolate covered candies--I was quick to say, "Yes!" He didn't give away her secret recipe--but allowed me to join him in creating these sweet treats. Every year since Jed was a little boy he'd go help granny stir the chocolate and since her passing he and his brothers have kept up the tradition each Christmas.

It was an honor to join him on Friday to produce some old standards--buttercream and peanut butter filled milk and dark chocolates. He also let me experiment a bit--my favorite was the marshmallow and cinnamon filled ones. How come there's no chocolate bar on the market with cinnamon? But the best part of the 6-hour production was just chilling with my friend, listening to music and hearing his stories about his grandma's candy making tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment