Saturday, December 12, 2009

10 Days: Oysters

world logo
I can't lie. I've had oysters before. They were disgusting. Chewy, tasteless, sea-water nastiness. So, this first is really a second chance--which we all deserve. I think second chances is a "first" for a lot of people. We are quick to dismiss something...or someone after they've disappointed us. I believe in second chances--third and forth and fifth chances as well.

I'm beginning to realize I have some philosophies I live by...one of course is a willingness to try almost anything once. But another that I find equally important is to move on after bad situations. I'm not the same person I was yesterday--and neither are the people around me. Not to get too philosophical about giving oysters a second chance, but I thought I'd share a deeper truth as I see it lived out in something as simple as trying a food I didn't like a second time.

Guess what. I liked them this time. My friend suggested I try cocktail sauce with the oyster and showed me how to mix it up in the sauce and then suck them down. Pretty tasty. Growing up, I hated shrimp. Now, I love shrimp. We change--every day, little by little--and so does the world around us. It's what gives me hope. We have the ability to receive second chances--as well as to give them.

No comments:

Post a Comment